Skip to content

There are lots of ways we can help members who are struggling to pay for their energy. It can feel overwhelming to fall behind on your payments, but the most important thing you can do is get in touch.

If you're worried about your next payment

Top up (prepay)

If you’ve run out of credit and Emergency Credit on your top up (prepay) meter, contact us to ask about getting temporary credit added to your meter.

Monthly payments

You might be able to lower your monthly payment amount in the payments settings page of your Bulb account. 

If the recommended payment is still too high, you can do a financial assessment with one of our partner organisations (IE Hub, Citizens Advice and StepChange) so we can find a fair payment amount that you can afford.

An assessment means filling in an online form, or talking to our partners about your financial situation over the phone. Find out more about taking a financial assessement.

Apply for financial support

There are many reasons why you may qualify for financial support. You can:

  • get support to make home improvements that will lower your energy costs through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme. You can also find some tips for lowering your energy usage - and your bills - in our guide to saving energy at home.

  • search for other support you may be eligible for using the grants and benefits calculator by Turn2us.

There are other payments you’ll receive automatically over the winter if you’re eligible, like:

  • Cold Weather Payments, if you receive certain benefits and the temperature stays below zero degrees for 7 days

Change the way you pay for your energy

Most Bulb members pay for their energy in advance by monthly Direct Debit. But you might prefer to pay another way.

You can ask us to install a top up meter. This means you'll pay for your gas and electricity as you use it, which can make it easier to budget.

You can apply to make weekly or fortnightly payments, rather than paying monthly.

You can also arrange to have your energy bills paid straight out of your benefit payments. Find out more about paying for your bills using your benefits.

If you can't pay by Direct Debit or topping up, you can ask to pay by cash, cheque, bank transfer or standing order when you get your monthly statement.

Get independent help and advice

There are lots of places you can turn if you're having financial difficulties.

  • StepChange are a charity that helps thousands of people overcome debt every week. You can call them for free on 0800 138 1111

  • National Debtline are a charity that provides free debt advice across England and Wales. You can contact their helpline on 0808 808 4000

If your situation is impacting your physical or mental health, there are lots of services just a phone call away that can provide expert support.

  • Mind offer information if you're living with a mental health problem, or supporting someone who is

  • The Samaritans are available 24 hours a day if you need to talk to someone about how you're feeling. Call them for free on 116 123, or text SHOUT to 8528

Register for free support services

We offer free support services to members who may be in a vulnerable situation or need extra help to manage their energy.