Skip to content

Extra help to manage your energy supply

We offer free support services if you, or someone you live with, needs help to manage your energy supply over winter. Some of the services we offer include:

Support during emergencies and power cuts

We work with your local energy network operator to provide extra support that’s right for you. For example giving you advance notice of planned power cuts, or arranging heating or cooking equipment if you have a power cut.

Nominate someone to help you manage your account

If you’re unwell, need to self-isolate, or need help to manage your account with us, you can nominate a friend, family member or carer to manage your energy for you.

The Warm Home Discount

Warm Home Discount applications are closed for winter 2021 to 2022

You could get £140 credit towards your electricity bill for winter 2022 to 2023 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. We’ll announce details of next year’s scheme in the spring.

There are 2 ways you can qualify:

• in the 'core group' - you don't need to apply

• in the 'broader group' - applications are now closed

If you’ve already applied and your application is approved, you’ll be paid the £140 discount by the end of March 2022.

Help if you’re struggling to pay for your energy

If you're facing financial difficulties and you might have trouble paying for your energy, let us know and we'll see how we can help. Whether that’s by reducing payments while you’re not working, finding a better payment method, or sharing tailored advice on ways to reduce your energy bills.

Keeping your meter topped up

If you have a top up (prepay) meter, there are some steps you can take in case you feel unwell or need to self-isolate.

To make sure your energy supply isn't affected:

• think about topping up your energy meter more than you usually would, each time you top up

• make a list of friends and family who live nearby and could top up your key or card for you

• if your meter is outside, leave your meter box unlocked if it's safe to do so, so someone else can top it up for you

If you need someone to top up for you, share our guide on how to top up a meter for someone else.

Checking your gas appliances

If you own your home, it’s a good idea to book a gas safety check every year. The Gas Safe Register has a list of qualified engineers, who’ll check if your gas appliances (like your boiler and your oven) are working as they should be. The cost of a gas safety check starts at around £45.

You may be eligible for free gas safety checks if you own your home, you get certain means-tested benefits and your household situation qualifies. Check if you’re eligible and apply for free gas safety checks.

You might consider a boiler care plan, too. Hometree offers boiler care from £12.95 a month, including an annual boiler service. And there's a reward for Bulb members who sign up.

Read more about gas safety.

Other support available for our members

An illustration of a saw and hammer
Funding for home improvements

If you’re receiving certain benefits, you may be eligible for funding to insulate your home or replace your boiler. Find out about the Energy Company Obligation scheme.

An illustration of a thermometer
Get your home ready for the winter

The typical British home uses most of its energy on heating. So we've put together some low-cost tips to save on your energy bills while staying toasty indoors.

An illustration of a light bulb
Funding from local councils

You can contact your local authority to ask about any extra support that’s available to you. Like the new Household Support Fund, a small grant to help vulnerable households.