Here is a list of things we'll always do:
- Ensure all personal data is collected in a fair and lawful manner and used only for specified purposes.
- Ensure personal data sought is adequate, relevant and not excessive for the purpose.
- Ensure personal data we keep is accurate and up-to date. To achieve this we rely on our members notifying us of changes to their personal data.
- Keep personal data secure at all times.
- Keep personal data no longer than is necessary and to dispose of it appropriately when it is no longer required.
- Take appropriate technical and organisational measures against unauthorised and unlawful processing accidental loss, destruction or damage to personal data.
- Only pass your personal data onto another organisation if we need to for the purposes of providing our products and services, or are required to by law or regulation. Before transferring any such data, we will check that the organisation has appropriate data protection policies.
Sources of Information
When we contact you, we may use any information we hold about you to do so. We may contact you by email, phone, or text (or other forms of electronic communications) or by visiting you. If we are contacting you to tell you about any new offers or initiatives, we will do so in line with how you have told us you would prefer to receive marketing information. If you would prefer not to receive any marketing information, you can let us know at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using and Disclosing Your Personal Information
We and our agents (companies we have contracted to assist in supplying your energy) may use your information and in certain circumstances disclose your personal information. We may do this for the following reasons which you agreed to allow us to do:
- Provide you with the services you have asked for. This may include providing information to members of your family or household and anyone acting on your behalf or other people who may be interested (for example, landlords or letting agents);
- Contact you for suggestions on how we can improve the way we operate, or about how we can improve any services and products we have provided before, now or in the future.
- Create statistics, run reports, analyse customer information, create profiles and create marketing opportunities.
- Help detect and prevent fraud, debt and loss. We may give this information to a credit-reference or a debt collection agency. If you have an outstanding balance, we may transfer your debt to another organisation and give them details about you and that debt;
- We will monitor and record any communications we have with you, including phone conversations, emails, community posts and web chat conversations for the purposes of training our staff, continually improving our services and where necessary, providing evidence or verification of transactions or events.
- Contact you in any way about products and services we and our selected partners may be offering. If you communicate with us through the internet, we may occasionally contact you by e-mail about our services and products. When you first sign up to Bulb, we will give you the opportunity to say whether you would be happy for us to contact you with marketing information.
- We may have to pass information about you to our agents and service providers. This may involve passing your information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) to countries that do not have the same data protection standards as we do in the UK. Accordingly, we have put in place strong contractual commitments with these suppliers to ensure that our data transfers made to them or their own suppliers comply with European data protection law or have ensured that they are signatories to European Union approved privacy principles such as the USA's Safe Harbor.
- If we are asked, we may pass your information on to Ofgem for legal or regulatory purposes.
- If we are asked to provide information to the police or law enforcement agencies we will require them to provide a warrant, unless we feel that it is in the best interests of our customers or the public to provide the information without a warrant.
- If we need to as part of current or future legal action.
- If we need information from your previous supplier that will allow us to take over your supply, such as information regarding meter readings, meter technical details etc. Similarly, you agree that we can provide information we hold about you (such as information about meter readings and meter technical details) to your new supplier so they can begin supplying your gas and electricity.
- If we need to pass on personal data to your electricity or gas distributor or network operator for the purposes of providing you with energy or related services and when we are required to do so.
- Priority Service Register and Special Needs Conditions: if we believe that you (or a member of your household) need extra care (for example, because of your age, health, disability or financial circumstances), we may record and share this information. We will use this information so that we do not disrupt your supply. We may share your information with:
We follow strict security procedures to protect personal information. This includes following certain guidelines (for example, checking your identity when you phone us).
Bulb and our agents will never ask for your password. We strongly recommend that you do not ever disclose your login details to anyone. Please always remember to logout of your account when you have finished using your online account.
From time to time Bulb include hypertext links to sites which are created by individuals and companies outside of Bulb. We do this when there is a particular relevance to the topic you're reading about and the site we take you to. Whilst we endeavour to check that the content of these sites is suitable, we cannot take any responsibility for the practices of the companies who publish the sites that we link to, nor the integrity of the content contained within them. On our community and social pages members are able to post links freely and Bulb does not actively monitor these links for suitability.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a piece of information stored in a small file which is sent to and from web pages. They can be used to identify that you've visited websites before and some will be stored on your computer by your web browser. They are anonymous, so they don't store any personal information of any kind.
- We use short-term cookies to recognise your PC as you move around our site and that any information you have entered, for example into search boxes, is remembered the next time you visit us. How can I manage my cookies and where can I find more information?
If you would like more information on how Bulb handles your personal data please contact us on email@example.com.
Last modified: 6 August 2015